USES OF PARTICIPLES AND INFINITIVES

Ask, advise, allow, command, force, forbid, invite, encourage, compel, beg, order•, imagine, instruct, permit, persuade, tell, require, remind, teach, etc. are followed by Object + To +V2

For example, 
 Incorrect- He advised to do it by me. 
 Correct- He advised me to do it. But if these are used in Passive Voice, then they are followed by To +V,. 

Know is followed by how/ where/when/why and Infinitive. 
For example, 
Incorrect- I know to write a letter. 
Correct- I know how to write a letter.

 After let, bid, behold, watch, see, feel, make etc. we use Bare-Infinitive and not To-infinitive. 
For example,
 Incorrect-I heard him to speak on several subjects.
Correct- I heard him speak on several subjects.

Bare Infinitive is used after Modal Auxiliaries (can, could, may, might, shall, should, will, would, must, dare not, need not). 
For example, 
Incorrect- You need not to work hard. 
Correct- You need not work hard.

Had better, had rather,had as soon ... as ... , had sooner etc. are followed by Bare Infinitive.
For example,
Incorrect- He had better to go now.
Correct- He had better go now. 16. Conjunction than is also fol¬lowed by Bare
Infinitive.


Regards,
Team ExamTyari

Comments